Farmers’ Market Assistant Position
The Gallatin Valley Farmers’ Market has an opening for an on-site assistant for our Saturday Markets (June 17-September 9) located in Bozeman, MT. Duties include setting up and taking down the Market each Saturday; assisting with market facilities, activities; supporting volunteers; organizing vendors; collecting fees; dealing with issues as they arise. Qualified candidates need to have a passion or interest in local food access and systems, an out-going personality, have great organizational and people management skills, and be able to do some heavy lifting. Up to 10 hours per week, $15/hour. The Gallatin Valley Farmers’ Market is a program of Career Transitions.
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected].
The Farmers’ Market Assistant provides on-site support at the markets, including set-up, break-down, collecting fees, answering questions, assisting volunteers, and managing emergencies as they arise. Additional off-site support as needed. Reports directly to and is annually reviewed by the Farmers’ Market Manager.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
Status: Part Time, Temporary, Non-exempt
Reports to: Farmers’ Market Manager
Position Updated: April 2023
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Supports market manager with set up on Friday before market as needed.
- Arrives at market at 6:30 am, before opening to assist with market set-up, and stays at market until 1 pm, when all vendors have left to assist with clean-up.
- Collects fees and completes Pay Sheets.
- Gives change to vendors when needed.
- Answers and educates the public about market and local food access programs.
- Assists with vendor parking.
- Assists with reserved vendor space assignments.
- Assists with lottery vendor space assignments.
- Contact Fairgrounds staff for venue issues or emergencies when necessary.
General Market Support:
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with staff, vendors, customers, volunteers, and community members.
- Assists vendors, community representatives, volunteers and customers by providing market-related information, conflict management and resolution, and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforces market rules.
- Other items that come up as necessary.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Degree.
- Interest in local food systems and access highly preferred.
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification preferred.
- Previous event management experience preferred.
02. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to learn specialized software applications.
- Ability to effectively meet and deal with the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Maintain internal and external confidential information.
- Exhibit strong organizational skills.
- Exhibit strong conflict management and resolution skills.
- Be assertive and confident with decision making.
- Flexible schedule with increased work hours during peak workloads.
- Some travel required.
- Attendance at no less than 9 out of twelve Saturday markets required.
- Telephone/Voice Mail
- A majority of the work is performed outdoors at the market site in a variety of weather conditions from high temperatures in full sun to cool or cold conditions.
- Most work is performed in the daylight hours but at certain times of the season may begin in pre-dawn conditions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects. The employee is required to sit, stand, talk, write, hear and read. The employee may be required to walk, stoop, kneel, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee will be required to be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described within this Position Description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.